Friday, May 20, 2016

Watercoloring With Penny Black


Hello! I have a new card to share with you using a pretty Penny Black stamp from their newest Spring Release!


This was all stamped in Simon Says Black ink on Master's Touch Watercolor paper from Hobby Lobby. I got a new set of watercolors the other day, and this is one of the first projects I have done with them. They are Mission watercolors and I ordered them from Amazon after watching a couple of Youtube videos. Peerless has been my favorite for a long time because they don't dry lighter or muted. I love the bright colors, but they are kind of messy with all the little pieces of paper floating around. I've been wanting something that was small and more contained, that I could carry around with me, or just sit in a small area on my desk. I am still a little up in the air about these Mission watercolors. I do like them, and the colors are brighter than some of the other watercolors I have, but they are still not quite as nice as the Peerless in my opinion. I will definitely be using them though.


Anyway, this was a fun image to watercolor! I thought I needed just a bit of highlights in the center of the flowers, so I went in with some white acrylic paint and added a few tiny dots. I've decided I like the acrylic paint better than my white gel pen, because my white gel pen doesn't work anymore!  It's all dried, up but shouldn't be, because it's not near old enough. 

I mounted my watercolored piece onto a white top folded card base and added some Sparkling Clear Pretty Pink Posh sequins.

Thanks so much for stopping by! Have a wonderful weekend! :)

Kay :)


Penny Black Supplies:






31 comments:

  1. Gosh, Kay, this is so pretty! I've never heard of the watercolors you mentioned. It looks like they are in tubes. That's definitely different than Peerless. The colors are very nice, for sure. The look you got in the water is amazing! You definitely know your way around watercolors! You can get the most amazing looks! I hear you about that white gel pen. It's a bit finicky. Have you tried scribbling it on your finger to get it going again? Sometimes that works for me over trying to get it going by scribbling on paper. You've got a great touch with the acrylic paint, though, so it may not be worth the futzing with a persnickety pen. :) Thanks for sharing another gorgeous card!! Hugs! Happy Friday! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. These colors are pretty amazing, but the best is what you've done with them! I have yet to try that white acrylic trick, but I will! Such a smart woman, you....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous! I've got that stamp set sitting on my desk waiting to be used, and you've inspired me to get on with it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Simply lovely Kay. The white acrylic paint looks so much better than the white gel pen that always seems to clog up on me too. Do you use a paint brush to apply the paint? If so what size? Your white dots are perfectly spherical, like they were done with a gel pen
    Thanks in advance,
    Loralee at dougparish@sbcglobal.net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Loralee! I use a stylus to make the tiny dots. It works wonderfully!

      Delete
  5. Your watercoloring is Amazing !! I loved that you have retained the transparency of colors ,Beautiful card !

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your watercoloring is Amazing !! I loved that you have retained the transparency of colors ,Beautiful card !

    ReplyDelete
  7. So beautiful; love the artsy look; the colors are gorgeous! What type of white acrylic paint did you use, anything in particular?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautifully watercolored - love the white dot accents too! Even the reflection/shading in the floral vase is amazing, Kay - a gorgeous card!

    ReplyDelete
  9. A work of art with the amazing water coloring, Kay! Your card is absolutely gorgeous!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is just sooo pretty!!! Love the colors. You're truly amazing with your eye for color and water coloring abilities. And the Penny Black stamps are so fun to water color.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, this is gorgeous, Kay! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Amazing, Kay! You are an artist, through and through!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. OH so pretty, Kay! I'm so glad you shared your trial - I've been wanting a nice set, but didn't know which to choose from. White gel pens? Can't tell you how many I thrown in the trash - ones that were NEVER used!!
    =]

    ReplyDelete
  14. Gorgeous as usual, Kay! Your glass bowl and water are so well done! I love your vibrant color!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your "trial" is stunning! With your artistic talent, you could make anything work just beautifully! Love this!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Fantastic card, I'm very inspired by your watercoloring. Looks amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Absolutely gorgeous!! Love your watercoloring!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is amazing Kay! The colors are so bright!! I have been debating buying some watercolors and so glad I saw your post! Thanks for the info!

    ReplyDelete
  19. You've done an amazing job with your new watercolors, Kay! Your background and blooms are so pretty, and I love how you colored the water in the vase...you are so creative, and your card is gorgeous!
    I hope you're having a lovely weekend...Hugs, Barb

    ReplyDelete
  20. Looks amazing! I hope to get good at watercolors this summer. I will have time to watch videos and experiment.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Beautiful card! Love these watercolors!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Kay, I am so amazed with your water coloring. This is so stunning. You need to teach classes!!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Kay, your card is breathtaking! The colors you have used and your skill in using them never ceases to amaze me.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love, love, LOVE this card! :D

    ReplyDelete
  25. Huge sigh of contentment over here. Nothing is prettier than seeing someone who can colour, colour. I wish I was you. Totally awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  26. This is just beautiful, Kay! I'm still on the fence about buying the Mission watercolors, but this sure did turn out lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Absolutely gorgeous-you need to do a video. Thanks for sharing your amazing talent.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving me a comment! I read and appreciate each and every one so much! Hugs :)